You could omit the potato for this recipe but I like incorporating them as they provide a creamy texture to the aubergine puree. Aubergine cooked in this way uses very little oil. You could even try this recipe by substituting the oil for water.
If you haven't read my previous post, then have a look at the meal plan. It was a really wholesome dinner.
Ingredients (4-5 servings)
2 large aubergines
1 large potato, diced
1 onion finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves grated or finely chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Water as needed for cooking
Salt to taste
- Peel the aubergines. Cut into thin pieces 4-
5 cmin length. Set aside.
- In a deep thick-base pan, on low heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add aubergines and potatoes.
- Add salt to taste (3/4 teaspoon, don’t be misguided by the volume of the vegetables at this stage. Always add less salt and add more later on if required).
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Occasionally, stir and add water if required to help the aubergine to soften.
- Mash the aubergine with a wooden spoon in the pan while cooking every now and then to help it become a puree.
- The aubergine will gradually change colour to brown. Take care not to burn it. Keep adding water as needed to thoroughly cook the aubergine and potatoes.
- Test whether potatoes are cooked and soft.