I thought they would be great cooked in tomato sauce with some okra (ladies finger). I like adding some sugar to the tomato sauce as it cuts down the sour taste of tomatoes. But some people prefer the sour taste. So, I leave this as optional.
Ingredients (4 servings)
2/3 can chickpeas (or a full can if opening a fresh one)
1 onion chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
Salt to taste
- Cut the okra about 2cm in length.
- In a non-stick frying pan, add 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add the okra and stir so that each okra is coated with a film of oil.
- Allow to cook on low heat for 20 – 25 minutes until okra is soft. (Cooking the okra this way uses much less oil than deep frying. And the okra remains juicy and soft.)
- In the meantime, add 1 tablespoon of oil in a deeper non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Add the onion and allow to cook for 2-3 min until semi-translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and coriander seeds.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and okra.
- Add the sugar and salt.
Serve with rice or bread.