Yesterday was a chilled day at home, we brunched on the leftover pizza and then I decided to make some bean patties for dinner. I also wanted a fresh but filling salad to go with the patties and green beans stroke my fancy!
Ingredients (12 patties)
3 cups mixed boiled beans (I used chickpeas, red beans and mung beans)
1 aubergine (or eggplant if you are more familiar with the term)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Handful shredded and chopped cabbage
1 teaspoon potato starch
A few mint leaves, finely chopped (optional)
Salt to taste
Oil for shallow frying and coating
- Slice the aubergine into thick circles (or whatever is easiest for you to fry). Wash them in some salt and water. Rinse off.
- Heat 4 – 5 tablespoons of oil in a fry pan.
- Add in aubergines. Fry, turning occasionally, until well cooked.
- Remove from oil and drain on absorbent paper.
- Then mash or chop them.
- Add aubergine and all remaining ingredients (except oil).
- Mix well. Taste for salt.
- Take some of the mixture (about the size of a ping pong ball), and shape to a ball.
- Then flatten while shaping the edge so it does not form cracks.
- Lay on a greased baking sheet or tray.
- Brush / Spray with oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turning them over at 20 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly. Serve warm or cold.
Green beans and couscous salad
I blogged about my bean slicer before. I took some photos this time so you can see it in action if you’ve never used one. You can buy it from here (in the US) or here (in the UK) if you fancy or check your local store (although they might not be easily available everywhere).
For this salad, I used
10 – 12 green beans
½ courgette (or zucchini), sliced thinly
½ avocado, sliced
½ cup couscous, soaked in ½ cup water (or according to packet directions) – allow to cool completely before adding in the salad
½ the juice of a lime
1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
- After slicing and chopping to about 2.5 cm or 1 inch in length, leave the green beans to soak in a mixture of lemon juice, sugar and salt for about 30 minutes.
- Then mix all ingredients together. Use the lemon juice from the green beans as seasoning.
- Add pepper.
- Add more salt if required.
That’s it for the salad, nice, quick, easy and all raw!