I had never actually made a vegan yogurt cake before. So, I experimented a little bit and it turned out really nice, soft and moist. I made cupcakes but I also tried this in a loaf pan which was nice too. I am not entirely happy about the frosting though. I made it with extra firm tofu, vegan margarine and soft dark brown sugar. But I could get a hint of the tofu in it and I don’t particularly like that. Maybe I need some more experimentation on this like adding flavours. So I’m not posting the frosting recipe here. But the cake itself was really nice and I’ll definitely make it again!
I am also now providing measurements in metric and cups as I can see there is almost equal preference for both (based on the poll I did a while ago;
you can still see it in the side bar ).
Ingredients (about 20 cupcakes)
3 cups (300g) plain flour
1½ cups (150g) dark soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon (7g) baking powder
1 teaspoon (7g) baking soda
¾ cup (150ml) melted vegan margarine
1 cup (200ml / 240g) soy yogurt (I used a strawberry flavoured one)
Juice from ½ lime (or lemon)
½ cup (100 ml) soy milk
1 tablespoon (10ml) vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place vinegar in soy milk and let stand (until needed).
- Mix flour and sugar. Add baking powder and baking soda. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the lime juice to the yogurt. Stir well.
- Pour the melted margarine onto the flour mixture.
- Then add the yogurt. Stir and mix.
- Add the soy milk mixture. Mix well.
- Pour 2 spoonfuls of batter mix into cupcake tray lined with paper cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.