For a few days Boyfriendlovlie has been having some inspiration about a warm rice salad with aubergine and lentils. So, most of the credit for this yummy dish goes to him!
Inspired by Boyfriendlovlie and made by me, this is the power of synergy and we could taste the love in every mouthful of this warm salad. The texture and flavour were wonderful, the graininess of the rice and lentils, crunchiness of the celery, mushiness of the aubergine and spiciness of the chilies! Simply perfect for the beginning of this autumn season.
Warm Rice Salad (3-4 servings)
1 cup (150g) brown and wild rice mix (or just brown rice)
1 can green lentils, (or 1 cup (150g when dried) boiled but still firm) well drained
1 red onion, finely sliced and chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped to small pieces
2-3 sundried tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
2-3 green chillies, chopped
1 tablespoon black bean sauce
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vegan margarine
Small bunch chives finely chopped (for garnish)
Salt and pepper
- Place rice in a deep container filled with water and bring to boil until cooked (but still firm and not mushy).
- Drain well and lay on a plate. Allow to cool.
- Cut the aubergine into relatively small pieces (bear in mind that they will be smaller when cooked). Sprinkle generously with salt, then cover with some water for about 2 minutes. Pour out the water and rinse out excess salt. Marinade in black bean sauce.
- Pour the oil in a fry pan. Place aubergine pieces in the pan and fry, turning occasionally, until golden and soft. Remove from pan, set aside.
- Place margarine in the pan. Allow to heat a little then add onions. Stir.
- Then add lentils (make sure there is no water in lentils) and stir to coat every grain in the margarine.
- Add chilies then sundried tomatoes and celery. Stir a few times.
- Add rice (make sure rice is cool before adding, otherwise it will turn sticky in the pan). Stir a few times.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with some chives.
- Enjoy warm and with love!