The vegan version is by far healthier. I only used 1 teaspoon of coconut oil as opposed to 1/2 cup of ghee.
Ingredients (4-5 servings)
500g carrots (about 6-7 carrots, grated)
5-6 cardamom pods
1/3 cup soft brown sugar
1 tablespoon coconut cream (optional)
1 teaspoon coconut oil
Toasted coconut flakes or chopped almonds (optional)
For the almond milk:
50 almond kernels (omit if using ready made almond milk)
1 litre hot water (or 1 litre almond milk)
- Place almonds to soak in water. You can pre-soak the almonds for four hours in cold water or use hot water and just soak for the cooking time of the carrots.
- Meanwhile grate the carrots, place in a non-stick heavy bottom pan. Add sugar. Cover and cook until carrots are soft and reduced to half the volume. This will take about 40 minutes.
- You can peel the soaked almonds if you like. Place the almonds and water into a blender and liquify. Sieve through a fine mesh cloth and squeeze out all the juice.
- Pour this almond milk into the carrots, add cardamom pods and cook until all liquid has reduced. This will take about 30 - 40 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add coconut cream if using. Stir well.
- Add coconut oil and stir well over medium heat for a few minutes. Add raisins, top with some toasted coconut flakes or chopped almonds and serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold.